Welcome to Art by Mo!

Thank you for visiting my website! This is my first post to the site and something I’ve wanted to do in a while. Ever since retiring as a Headteacher in 2010 I’ve rediscovered art and my creative side, something I’m very grateful for having back in my life. As a girl and a young woman art was incredibly important to me, a way of exploring the world and my creativity. However, as often is the case when life and your career gets more intense, my artistic side was marginalised as I devoted myself to raising my children and leading Firth Park Community Arts College as Headteacher for 15 years.

After a much needed rest (plus a few holidays…) following my retirement in 2010, I began painting and drawing again. Having not practised my skills for years, I felt that my arts skills needed refreshing and updating and so in 2011 I began attending local and regional courses in painting, drawing and textiles and indeed quilting – something I never dreamed I’d be doing but they do say we all turn into our parents so there you go! Indeed, the quilting was so enjoyable skill to develop and I’ve loved learning new skills in all areas of my art.

In 2013, my husband and I moved to Oughtibridge, a lively and lovely village to the north of Sheffield.  I now have a lovely studio, in a building adjacent to our main cottage, a place of sanctuary for me – and I suspect Tony enjoys the peace whilst I am there too!  The studio looks over a large pond, surrounded by trees and with resident ducks and a kingfisher.  I get lots of creative ideas and solace from the pond and also the lovely hills and scenery from our local area.

IMG_2781

Now I mostly work in acrylics and watercolour but have just completed my first oil painting in many years, based on the dramatic scenery whilst in Cornwall recently on a coastal walk. My artwork includes collage, printing and creative machine stitching using the recent acquisition of a Janome machine.

Quilt making is new to me and I find it compulsive and so creative.  I have done lots of classes with Trish at the ‘Patchwork Garden’ in Sheffield and learned so much from these excellent workshops.  I have, to date, made 6 full sized double/king size quilts and lots of baby quilts for grandchildren and those of friends – it is cold in Sheffield after all!

IMG_2783

I continue to do some educational work as a consultant and enjoy this as education was my life for many years.  But now my greatest passion and love is returning to my original roots and spending time being creative in my studio. In the last 3 years I have had my work exhibited at the ‘Great Sheffield Art Show’, ‘Art in the Gardens’ and a local design shop in Oughtibridge.  I am thrilled to discover that others like my work – it’s nice to know you’re still capable of something once you retire – other than looking after my wonderful grandchildren!

I also take on commissions and offer Art lessons on an ad hoc basis for GCSE/A level art and to local friends who want to explore or update Art skills.

I hope you enjoy looking at my work and if interested speaking further about my art then I would love to hear from you.

Mo x

photo (35)

Advertisements

16 responses

1. Jill

Great website. Lots of lovely work and so diverse

Liked by 1 person

September 1, 2015 at 9:12 pm

2. Thanks Jill. I appreciate this.

September 2, 2015 at 11:30 am

3. Robin Gildersleeve

Wonderful to find you so successfully re-discovering your roots, Mo’. After your long and distinguished career in school headship it’s great that you are finding this inspiration again. Have you thought about art as therapy for school leaders and teachers?

October 16, 2015 at 8:14 pm

• Hi Robin,
      We were away in India & Goa Oct/ Nov. Only just picked up this message so thanks. Doing a Minfulness course currently to take into Coaching work. Not used Art as yet but worth considering. Mo.x

February 7, 2016 at 4:54 pm

4. Connie

Lovely to see your new environment and recent travels inspiring you to use vibrant colour and texture in your work, and I know you’re enjoying trying out new techniques. Looking forward to seeing future exhibitions.

February 7, 2016 at 4:06 pm

5. Helen Marshall-Serrano

So happy for you Mo! Your art work looks amazing , open your own gallery! X

February 7, 2016 at 6:44 pm

• MO

Thanks for this Helen. I did see you on ‘Come dine with me’. Hilarious!

February 11, 2016 at 1:45 pm

6. Patricia Penny

A really lovely website . A great variety of work and some fabulous colours . I am looking forward to seeing new additions to the collection .

February 8, 2016 at 8:21 am

7. Steve Longley

Never realised you were so talented, Mo. Really like those quilts!

February 8, 2016 at 10:20 am

8. Never realised you were so talented Mo. Really liked those quilts.

February 8, 2016 at 10:23 am

9. Fiona

Beautiful website with some lovely creative pieces.
    Textures and colours create I interesting dimensions.
    Quilts are stunning.

February 9, 2016 at 8:56 pm

10. Natalie

Looking forward to seeing your work at the Sheffield/Derbyshire Open Arts Event 28th April – 5th May – wouldn’t miss it for the world. I am already one of the lucky ones in that I have your work on my wall; am cheered every day by it. X

February 17, 2016 at 1:06 pm

11. Liz

Hi Mo
    Will try to make one of the dates for the Open Arts Event. Looking forward to seeing you and seeing more of the fantastic work you have created. In awe of your talent! Will be good to have a nostalgic trip to Sheffield too. Love Liz xx

February 21, 2016 at 8:54 pm

12. I’ve been very lucky to see first hand Mo’s work .
    What a talent this amazing woman has .
    I displayed some in my shop in Oughtibridge Sheffield .
    It was very well received , and I look forward to seeing more in
    The next few weeks . Julie x

March 16, 2016 at 7:30 am

• Mo Laycock

Thanks a lot for this Julie.

March 25, 2016 at 11:35 pm